Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Our Dream Condo Rental

As you read in the on-property vs. off-property post, our family size is better suited for off-property living. My first step to finding a condo was to make a wish-list of the amenities I wanted our house to have. I used TripAdvisor to begin my search. A private pool and four bedrooms were at the top of the list. Having themed rooms for the kids was important to me as well since we'd be missing out on the extravagant theming of Disney's resorts. Finally, I knew I wanted to be near the parks making for easier mid-day breaks. We have stayed in the Davenport/Kissimmee area before and opted for that same area this time. I told TripAdvisor my wishlist and that I wanted to keep it under $800/week. That's right- $800/7 nights. Didn't think it was possible, did you? Not only was it possible, I had several options that I thought would work for our family, however, booking early is your friend. We couldn't lock-in dates until late January for a May trip. The least-expensive condo options that I wanted were already taken for our dates by the time I booked. Ultimately, I found a great spot in the same resort complex we stayed in before and still we are spending far less than if staying in a Disney resort.

Condo details:
  • $105/night
  • Private Pool (optional pool heat for $25/day <- this is a very common additional fee)
  • Free Wireless Internet (Harder to come by than you would imagine)
  • 4 Bedrooms
  • 2 Themed Bedrooms( with twin beds in each; under-the-sea and  princess/fairies rooms)
  • 15 Minute Drive to Parks
  • Large Community Pool and Hot-Tub 
  • Game Room (pool table, foosball, dress-up area for kids, and more)
  • Fully Furnished Kitchen 
When you're booking a condo, expect a down payment of about 10%. Condo fees and taxes can be killer too- expect to pay 11-12% in taxes and watch for hidden booking fees. 

We opted to wait on the pool heat. If we pay for it before checking-in, it will be $25/day ($200 additional dollars to our tab). If we wait until after we check-in, they'll charge us an additional $25 as a maintenance fee. We plan on checking the weather before we arrive and choosing then whether or not to purchase it. 

Note: Some condos offer baby-care items for free, some charge for their use, and some don't offer any. If you have little ones in your party, definitely find out what your condo will provide and for how much! 

Finally, yes, the condo isn't as polished as some of the Disney resorts. It may be slightly dated even. However, the value is incredible. Having our own space is imperative for our family to have a fantastic trip, so any shortcomings can be easily overlooked. Check it out: 
      

If you're interested in finding more properties or this exact one,
check out Head For Orlando. Which condos have you stayed in on your Disney vacations? 

2 comments:

  1. We're considering a WDW trip and this was very helpful! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad this helped! Please let me know if I can answer any questions as you search for your perfect vacation dwelling!

    ReplyDelete